Freestanding Roof Edge Protection
OSF’s Freestanding Roof Edge Protection is a counterbalanced handrail system that has been providing a vital protection solution for worker safety at height for over 15 years. It can be used on virtually any flat roof or up to a gradient of no more than 10 degrees.
Our counterbalanced system operates on a curved PVC weight, which does not damage the integrity of the roof surface. A galvanised malleable iron foot, with protective rubber base, supports the handrail post.
The system features 1100mm tall factory preassembled uprights that include open cradle fittings allowing the handrail tube to be quickly dropped into place, speeding up assembly and saving cost. In addition to counterbalanced arms the system uses key clamp components that make it quick and easy to install.
Our Roof Edge Protection system can also be used to provide a guarded walkway across a roof or individual protection around hazards such as sky lights and air conditioner units.
OSF offers free help and advice to establish the required materials needed for any installation. All items are in stock and ready for next day delivery.
For more information please call OSF on 01902 798080 or contact us here.
Lay out the equipment in approximately the positions shown on the right. When assembling the system, always ensure that you and the equipment are at a safe distance from the roof edge. It is recommended that this distance is no less than 2m.
Place a Main Rail Tube into the bottom Saddle Clamp of each upright. Position the tube so there is at least 60mm extending past the Saddle Clamp, and tighten Grub Screws. Place the second Main Rail Tube into the top Saddle Clamp, positioning the tube as before, leaving at least 60mm extending past the Saddle Clamp and tighten the Grub Screw.
Working in pairs, carefully lift the assembled bay and walk towards the leading edge. Cautiously place the bay in the desired position and slide the corresponding Counter Weight tube into the Base Foot.
- OSF’s Freestanding Roof Edge Protection is designed in accordance with BS EN 13374 : 2013 as a Class A protection system.
- The rails and supports are made of galvanised steel tube to BS EN ISO 1461 and have an outside diameter of 48.3mm.
- Installation should be undertaken by qualified and trained personnel only.
- The key clamp components are iron castings manufactured to the requirements of BS EN 1562 and 1563. Set screws are manufactured in case hardened steel and are protected against corrosion with proprietary Zinc Aluminium coating and with stainless steel screws available also.
- A key clamp component can support an axial load of 900KG’s per set screw with the set screw tightened up to a torque of 39Nm (29lbs/ft or 4Kgm); rating includes a safety factor of 2:1 provided these conditions are met and the torque is set with a calibrated torque wrench.
- All quotations and prices given by OSF are for the supply and delivery to site of the required materials. Please note they do not include installation or any costs associated with the transfer of materials to the roof area such as crane hire.
- Further technical information including testing certificates and load calculations can be supplied upon request.